Created on: April 30, 2024
Modified on: April 30, 2024

Social payments

If you are receiving payments from the Department of Social Protection and are changing your address, you must inform the Department. Please contact your local Intreo office or one of the specialized Ukraine Support Centres in Dublin, Limerick, or Cork and inform them of your new address. To find your local Intreo office, follow the link.

This way, your address will be updated, and the payment will be sent to your new local post office.

Additionally, you can apply to receive payments directly to your bank account.

If you have an account with an Irish financial institution or use Revolut or N26 apps, you can apply on your own behalf to have the payments sent directly to your account. To do this, you need to visit a local Ukraine Support Centre, an Intreo centre, or one of its branches.

The easiest way to change the method of receiving payments is on the website www.MyWelfare.ie (MyWelfare- Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection – Online Services- Change my payment method).

Note! Not all social welfare payments can have their method of receiving payments changed.

Review the list below:

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Carer’s Benefit
  • Child Benefit
  • Disability Allowance
  • Guardian’s Payment (Contributory)
  • Guardian’s Payment (Non-Contributory)
  • Household Benefits
  • Illness Benefit
  • Invalidity Pension
  • One-Parent Family Payment
  • State Pension (Contributory)
  • State Pension (Non-Contributory)
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Contributory) Pension
  • Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Non-Contributory) Pension


How can you request to change the post office where you receive financial assistance if you move to a different address?

You can call the local Ukraine Support Centre, an Intreo centre, or one of its branches. There is also an online service available at www.MyWelfare.ie for clients who have come to Ireland under the EU Temporary Directive.

It is available under the ‘Ukraine Supports’ icon on www.MyWelfare.ie.

If you are receiving financial assistance, you can use this service to request a change to your post office. The change will not be automatic, but you will be informed when the post office has been changed.


GP/ Medical Card

When you change your current place of resident, you must contact your GP (general practitioner) in the new locality. If the doctor is willing to add you to their patient list, they will change your doctor upon your consent.

If you currently have a general practitioner, take the details of the clinic where you were seen to the new doctor. This will allow the new doctor, with your consent, to request information from the previous clinic and access your medical record.

You need to notify the Health Service Executive (HSE) of Ireland about your address change, providing your name, the names of all dependents linked to the card, your medical card number, PPS number, and new address.

The most effective way to do this is by email: nmcu.cod@hse.ie

or by calling the number  081 822 44 78.

If you are unable to get a new general practitioner, you can continue using your current medical card to access medical services, including Out of Hours GP services.

If you need to consult a general practitioner outside of regular working hours or if the doctor is unavailable, you can contact a local general practitioner who provides out-of-hours medical services (GP out of hour’s service).

You can find the location of this service on the HSE website.

HSE Live can also provide you with the names and contact numbers of general practitioners in your region and answer general questions about healthcare services.

HSE Live working hours:

Mon – Fri: 8:00 – 20:00

Sat and Sun: 9:00 – 17:00



Freephone: 1 800 700 700

Phone: 01 240 87 87

In the event of a life-threatening emergency, call 999 or 112 to request an ambulance. These numbers can be dialed free of charge from any phone!



Regional Education and Language Teams (REALT), appointed by regional Education and Training Boards (ETB), operate throughout Ireland and are staffed by regional education support personnel.

The main role of REALT is to focus special attention on helping families secure school places based on existing regional education support structures.

If your child needs a school place, follow the steps below:

  • After the family arrives in the region, they need to contact the local REALT coordinator via email or phone.
  • Then, the coordinator will contact them directly and record their place of residence, contact details, names and ages of each child, and other additional information.
  • The REALT coordinator will identify all available school places in the locality and inform the relevant schools of the number of children wishing to start school.
  • The REALT coordinator or school administration will ask the guardians of potential students to complete the enrollment process for individual schools.


All new arrivals will be asked to apply for registration with their local REALT coordinator, thus securing assistance in finding school places as soon as possible.

Contact details for local REALT coordinator teams are provided here.