Created on: February 12, 2024
Modified on: March 25, 2024

The Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) explains:

Vehicles originating from Ukraine and entering Ireland must have a motor third party liability insurance policy. MTPL insurance is a compulsory insurance of civil liability of vehicle owners, a form of state protection of victims of road accidents. The CTP insurance policy compensates the victims of an accident.

Ukrainian drivers can ensure their vehicles are insured in one of two ways:

1. A Ukrainian insurer, or the Ukrainian Motor Insurance Bureau (similar to MIBI) has issued an International Motor Insurance Card (IMIC) /Green Card to the driver/owner that permits the vehicle to circulate within the Green Card System countries. See https://www.cobx.org/ for more information on the Green Card System.

a physical IMIC/Green Card must be printed, and carried in the vehicle if travelling to other countries.

2. The driver/owner of the vehicle purchased a Frontier insurance policy at the point of entry to the EU (for example, when the vehicle entered Poland). This Frontier policy will provide the required level of insurance to drive the vehicle within the Green Card System for the period that the Frontier policy is valid for, i.e. from 15-30 days, up to a maximum of one year. MIBI also recommends that on an exceptional basis, Frontier Insurance policies be accepted electronically in PDF format.


It should be noted that if a vehicle continues to circulate in Ireland, it will require MTPL insurance provided by an Irish insurer when the Ukrainian insurance policy, or the Frontier insurance policy expires. The terms applied to these Irish policies is a matter for the individual (Irish based) insurers to decide upon if a driver purchases a policy in Ireland.

In addition, vehicles and drivers will be subject to Irish regulations with regard to re-registering foreign vehicles and Irish regulations with regard to recognition of international driving licenses. You can apply for a temporary exemption from vehicle tax upon arrival via your account on http://revenue.ie/