Created on: January 24, 2024
Modified on: February 8, 2024

People across Ireland have opened their homes to provide temporary accommodation to people fleeing the conflict in Ukraine.

In recognition of their generosity, the government is providing a monthly payment of €800 for each property. This payment is paid per property, not for each person hosted.

The pledged accommodation can be either a separate room or a spare room in a shared accommodation (host). The Irish Red Cross and Helping Irish Hosts are looking for such premises among vacant houses, apartments or vacation homes. Such offers are entered into the Irish Red Cross Register of Pledges for shared accommodation pledges or through the  Offer a Home program run by local authorities for vacant home pledges.  

While rented properties must comply with certain legal minimum standards and fire safety regulations, it is the responsibility of Local Authorities to ensure compliance with same. All landlords must ensure their properties are fully compliant with fire safety and minimum standards regulations for rental properties. These standards were approved by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage.

Once an eligible Ukrainian person or family is identified and agrees to accept the offer, the local authorities will facilitate contact between the homeowner and the beneficiary of temporary protection (BoTP).

Property owners and beneficiaries sign a temporary accommodation licence agreement to protect the rights of the property owner and the beneficiary, and to protect the property itself. The local authority can provide a template agreement, which can be used or adapted as required. Ukrainian language version of the templates are available.

The license agreement must specify the “License Period” for which the housing is provided for use by the beneficiary. The minimum period for which the agreement is concluded is 6 months. At the end of the period, the licence period can be extended with the agreement of all parties.

Should the beneficiaries require assistance in transferring bills to their names, they may contact Citizens Information, Community Response Forum or other groups assisting Ukrainians in their area.

Local authority staff will be available to support you and offer information and advice throughout the arrangement.

When the agreement ends, the responsibility for providing alternative accommodation rests with DCEDIY and UCTAT. Contact should be made with UCTAT in advance of the agreement termination date advising UCTAT that alternative accommodation will be required and the date of termination of the agreement. However, the local authorities will try to support the Ukrainian individual or family in finding alternative housing through another offered accommodation or through The Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration & Youth.

If you have been provided accommodation with an Irish family through Helping Irish Hosts, you can use the Home Sharing Agreement template, which aims to help hosts and guests establish some simple guidelines for how you can share your space (and any house rules or expectations).

How to qualify for the Accommodation Recognition Payment as a person Offering accommodation

The quickest and easiest way to apply is online at

You will need to provide:

  • your name
  • your Personal Public Service (PPS) Number
  • your address
  • details of the host accommodation including the Eircode
  • your bank details for payment

You will also need to give details of each person you are providing accommodation for, including:

  • their name
  • their PPS Number
  • the date they began living in the accommodation
  • the date they left, if they are no longer living in the accommodation

To get this payment you must self-declare that the accommodation meets the minimum set of standards.