Created on: February 16, 2024
Modified on: February 16, 2024

You can be refused a jobseeker’s payment if you do not meet all the rules that apply to the payment. You can be disqualified from a payment for a period of time in certain circumstances. You can also have your payment reduced (and subsequently stopped for a period of time) if you do not attend meetings or participate in appropriate employment schemes, training or work experience.

Disqualification from a jobseeker’s payment

You may be disqualified from getting a jobseeker’s payment for up to 9 weeks if you:

  • Left work voluntarily and without just cause.
  • Lost your job through misconduct.
  • Refused or failed to engage with activation measures where a penalty rate applied.


Change in Circumstances/Debts

When making a Jobseekers Claim, you singed the below declaration:

  • I will work to secure employment at the earliest possible opportunity.
  • I will work with the Department to agree my Personal Progression Plan.
  • I will attend meetings to which I am invited by the Department.
  • I will follow up all suggestions and take up any work placement, work experience and/or training/personal development places notified to me by the Department.
  • I will inform the Department immediately if I find work, or if I am no longer available for work.
  • I will treat the staff of the Department with dignity and respect and honour the confidentiality of my relationship with the Department.
  • I will provide the Department with all information requested to assess any claim for income support.
  • I will abide by the Declaration in my Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Benefit Self-Employed Application Form.


When you are on a Social Welfare payment it is your responsibility to notify the department of any change of circumstances. This is the declaration you sign when you complete your monthly online signing (Jobseeker Claim)


  • I declare that I am fully unemployed, available for work, fit for work and genuinely seeking work but am unable to find work.
  • My circumstances and those of my spouse / civil partner / cohabitant or dependants have not changed.
  • I understand that I could be prosecuted for making a false declaration or withholding information.


It is your responsibility to notify the Department should any changes to your circumstances arise. Some Examples include – Leaving Ireland permanently, Studying, beginning working (you may still be eligible to receive a part payment), not genuinely seeking work, not available for full time work, not declaring a spouse or co-habitant beginning work or leaving Ireland.

Any Overpayment that is calculated against you will remain associated with your PPSN until the debt is fully repaid.


Employment Services:

When you are receiving a Jobseeker payment, you will need to engage fully with any appointments that are made for you to meet with our employment team. Failure to engage can result in a loss of payment.

You may be referred to a CE scheme or Job Path employment services.

The purpose of Community Employment (CE) and Tús is to provide long term unemployed participants with work experience in their local communities to help them find employment.

For more information and eligibility please see Community Employment (CE) scheme (

For information on Jobs Plus schemes please see gov – JobsPlus (


Some Job advertising sites that might help you in your search for employment:


Please note that if your personal or family circumstances change you must notify your Local Intreo Office to avoid sanctions.